The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. Psalm 118:22-23 NRSV

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Getting Started


I have been challenging myself to think more systematically about the issues that affect my life and community (defined narrowly and broadly depending on the day) and to write consistently so that I have a potential audience for my best thinking. As I see it, there are more than enough talking heads, especially on talk radio, and quite a few writers, but there's far too little thoughtfulness behind the speaking and writing.

Am I trying to improve myself or the world? I'll start with myself, and we'll see what happens to the world. I find that while I feel free and unimpeded when it comes to talking without thinking or researching the facts, I am much more careful about what I write, especially since I recognize that what we say lives forever in cyberspace This blog provides the necessary occasion for keeping it real, which in this context means keeping it accurate rather than simply being blunt.

And that brings me to the loftier goal of affecting other peoples' thinking and conversation. Over the last three weeks, I have been impressed by the impact that certain blogs have on my life, which was actually the catalyst for my considering blogging myself. As I have been pondering, I have also been writing some potential posts and sending them out to friends and colleagues who have, in turn, encouraged me to find a wider audience.

Here I am. Let's see who shows up.

No comments: