The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. Psalm 118:22-23 NRSV

Friday, June 12, 2009

Young Enough to Do Something Different

Today marked another first for me in my new ministry as pastor of the St. Paul's Baptist Church. Although I was the officiating minister for a funeral last Saturday, today I gave my first eulogy as pastor. Mrs. Clara Gilliam Lightfoot was born in 1912 and had been a member of St. Paul's for 70 years. She had not been able to come to church for some time, but she did have the opportunity to vote in the pastoral election a few weeks ago. The deacon who provided her with the absentee ballot remarked that although she knew that her vote was by secret ballot and therefore confidential, after seh placed her marked ballot in the envelope she volunteered, "Clara Lightfoot has done something different. I just voted for the woman."

Of course I smiled to know that Mrs. Lightfoot would have been pleased with the pastor at her funeral, but more than that I was struck by what extraordinary liveliness she had even in her last weeks. If anyone has an excuse for holding on to the familiar and maintaining the status quo it is the person who has lived for 97 years. But I am thinking that the willingness to embrace new things, a delight in doing "something different" (especially when that something is a good and right thing) may very well be the reason why Mrs. Lightfoot lived as long as she did.

This week I heard several moving and challenging sermons and lectures at the Hampton Ministers' Conference. I felt convicted and encouraged by the sermons of Dr. Claudette Copeland. I reflected and repented because of the word placed in Dr. Renita Weems's mouth. And I recommitted to preaching with boldness because of what Dr. William Curtis preached. But as Dr. Copeland herself made clear in her sermon on Wednesday, sometimes the prophetic is mediated through a life. In Mrs. Lightfoot's final act as a member of St. Paul's Baptist Church, God spoke to me: No matter how old we get, we're always young enough to do something different. Message taken.

4 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there Dr. Callahan!

I haven't been to HMC for years but I would have liked to hear the preachers you mentioned. I haven't heard Dr. Curtis in five years and can't remember which year it was when I last listened to a Dr. Weems' sermon. I've never heard Dr. Copeland preach...yet.

What a wonderful blessing that Mother Lightfoot heard from God and was obedient to His direction.

I am so happy to know that you are still blogging!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Interesting post as for me. I'd like to read more about that theme. Thnx for posting that data.
Sexy Lady
Girls for companionship in London

Unknown said...

wedding dresses, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, north face outlet, hollister, iphone cases, nike air max, babyliss, hollister, hollister, instyler, timberland boots, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, birkin bag, mcm handbags, soccer jerseys, asics running shoes, nike air max, converse outlet, ray ban, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, louboutin, north face outlet, reebok shoes, nfl jerseys, vans shoes, insanity workout, baseball bats, longchamp, ghd, nike huarache, ralph lauren, nike roshe, celine handbags, converse, vans, lancel, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, lululemon, oakley, beats by dre, new balance, mont blanc, p90x workout, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, gucci

Unknown said...

moncler, replica watches, ugg pas cher, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, pandora charms, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, karen millen, canada goose, marc jacobs, links of london, moncler, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, moncler, moncler, hollister, juicy couture outlet, bottes ugg, ugg boots uk, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, moncler, canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, swarovski crystal